Thursday 27 August 2015

What's in a Name - Daadu Tales

You may wonder...What's in a name? 

But importance and the dearth of good-uncommon-names comes to the fore most when you become a parent. Suddenly you go thru a hundred books on names.
Some names are unforgettable and some names are unforgivable!

Rarely do you find a person with a befitting name.... befitting his/her physique, beauty, temperament, personality.

One of the names I could never comprehend was that of my father-in-law 'HARJIT'.
For years I wondered and pondered on the meaning of 'HARJIT'.

As per my knowledge of Parsi Hindi, I interpreted it quite literally.... 
HAR (meaning - to lose)  &  JIT (meaning - to win)
And so, the name was coined together 'Mr. WINSOME LOSE SOME' and was stored thus in my phone contacts.
I had heard of victorious names like Fateh, Jay, Vijay 
But wondered about this name... 
Why such a twix-mix of win and lose ? 
Why in the same breath, a contrast of opposing two ?

Some years later a friend saw this unique name flashing on my phone. 
And after my explanation, she explained the real meaning of the name.
HARJIT - may you win every time ! 

I explained the same to my son.

It's the perfect name for Daadu, he observed.
"Daadu has a compulsive behaviour of ....
Always wanting what is not
even if it's just a glass of water - cold or hot,
always making it more complicated than not 
but somehow he manages a win 
by getting the other person in a knot".

In life you may win some and lose some 
But in Daadu's case it was completely win-some. 

Thus the mystery of 'Win Some Lose Some' was Finally Solved ! 



No comments:

Post a Comment