Thursday 9 July 2015

The Blue-Eyed Darner

THE BLUE-EYED DARNER

June 2015
Place : Guest house in Bavdhan-Pune, 
Location : Outskirts of the Sahayadris (Western Ghats)
Purpose : Summer Vacation


I did hear someone knocking on the window, but when he slipped into the drawing room from the garden side was unknown. 

He was dressed in a blue-black checkered vest that matched perfectly with the colour of his eyes.  Fashion conscious he seemed.  
He sat quietly on the sofa. He was handsome and well built. I felt a rush in me as my eyes connected with his deep blue eyes. 
I wondered why he was in here? Did he come here to rest or had he lost his way? 
Either way, I was lucky to have laid my eyes on him. I tip toed  and gently sat next to him on the sofa. 
We both sat on the sofa - silent. 
I glanced thru the corner of my eye to avoid movement.  
He was very handsome indeed. 

I barely left the drawing room to fetch a glass of water from the kitchen, he disappeared, just as silently as he had entered. I was disappointed by his quick exit and angry at my loss. 

Next morning, I walked around the garden sipping tea in the hope of bumping into him again. 
A rare possibility but yet hopeful. His intense blue eyes flashed in my mind. I MUST see him again ! 

Late morning he dropped by, looking dashing as ever. It was worth the wait. For me, his deep blue eyes were impossible not to stare. He moved in and around the house deftly. He may be a regular visitor, I thought. 
He sat on the sofa. 
After a few minutes of stand and stare, I tip toed to sit on the sofa.
We sat - silent. 
But in slow motion I inched closer to him.  

Suddenly there was a call for me from the bedroom that kept getting louder. I went to attend to my daughter who had just woken at 11. It was the call for her morning hug. 
In the midst of her calls, he disappeared.
Damn, I did so want to spend more time with him. 

In the afternoon I heard someone knocking on the window. Ah! It was the knock I had been waiting for. I ran to let him in. 

I followed him around the house. He seemed to ease up in my presence. 
The house had large windows. The cool breeze and bright sun made it a perfect day to follow his sway. 
He went down to the lower floor, I followed. He came up again and moved around the living room. I followed him everywhere, up and down the stairs, drawing room, dining room, veranda, garden..... What did he want? What was he looking for ? 
Each time I extended a hand of friendship, he managed to avoid it.   
  
"Don't you think you are spending too much time with him?" my son commented casually.  
"seen none like him" I whispered excitedly. 

Each day he seemed to come closer to the hand of friendship as I chased him and followed him everywhere, odd places, difficult places and some dangerous as well (on the edges and ledges of windows with a steep drop into the valley).

And finally, one sunny day he decided to accept me..... as His Friend! 

-----------------------------


Knock knock 
Who's there? 
Its me the blue-eyed darner, won't you come and stare ?   

Wait! Please don't go anywhere 
for I must capture you 
through my camera lens glare. 

------------------------------

The blue-eyed darner dragonfly       

No comments:

Post a Comment